Masterclass 3a: RABBIT TAGINE STEP BY STEP
Moroccan Rabbit Tagine with preserved lemon and green olives
This tagine is wonderfully fragrant and light and the perfect meal for a summer evening.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
400g crushed tomatoes
8 pickling onions, peeled
1 bay leaf
1 sprigs of thyme
500ml chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon harissa
½ cup pitted green olives cut in half
2 teaspoons julienne of preserved lemon
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Preheat an oven to 150˚c
2. Cut the onion, celery and carrot into a uniform dice. Take care when preparing your ingredients, precision with vegetable sizes will ensure even cooking and will impact on the overall presentation of the dish.
3. Take care to slice the garlic thinly and evenly.
4. Heat the olive oil in a cast iron casserole dish over a gentle heat. When hot add the vegetables and sauté without colour for 15 – 20 minutes or until completely soft and translucent
Be patient and take your time with this step, by cooking the vegetables until they are soft will help to bring out their natural sweetness and will in turn enhance the flavour of the finished dish. A handy tip is to add a pinch of salt at the beginning of this cooking process as this will help to draw out the moisture from the vegetables helping the vegetable to sweat rather than fry and colour.
When the vegetable are completely soft add the garlic sauté for a couple more minutes until it has softened.
5. Add the spices and sauté for a couple of minutes more.
6. Choose pickling onions that are similar in size, or peel off a few extra layers to make them all reasonably even.